Proper nutrition is key to helping your dog live a long and healthy life.
Dogs are as individual as we are. Large, small, young, old, thin, plump, active or couch potato; all need a well-balanced diet for good health and each variation has different nutritional needs.
How do you get your canine companion the best food at the best value for your money
First up: Why Feed a Premium/ High Quality Dog Food?
There’s a difference between feeding to meet the basic requirements to sustain and maintain life and feeding to bring out the best in your bestie.
Premium high quality brands provide highly digestible, 100% complete and balanced formulas. These formulas contain the vitamins, minerals, protein, fat and carbohydrates your dog needs for sound and healthy development.
Lower quality brands have lower digestibility.
What does Digestibility mean?
The digestibility of a diet refers to how much of the nutrients provided can be absorbed and then used by the body.
In poorer quality diets with lower digestibility, more of the food is passing through and out and not being absorbed.
High quality premium formulas have specialized ingredients which help support:
- Exceptional muscle tone which in turn supports their joints and reduces chances of injury.
- Shiny luxurious coat. Their skin is their first barrier of defense so keeping it healthy is super-important. The healthier it is, the less day to day skin issues they’ll experience.
- Healthy bones and teeth. Some of the foods available have dental benefits in them.
- Clear, bright eyes and brain development in puppies.
- Small, firm stools. Their gut is their second super-important barrier of defense. On top of the clean-up benefit of small stools, there are special ingredients in many foods that work towards maintaining the barrier of their gut and keeping them healthy.
- Happy and Playful.
Is Premium Dog Food All About the Fancy Packaging and Marketing or is it Worth the Money?
Low-cost food may be less expensive, but it isn’t always a bargain. It may not provide the best nutrition for our best friend’s needs.
Premium dog food makes sense both nutritionally AND economically as it provides the following benefits:
- Consistent, high quality ingredients with a stable profile
- 100% complete and balanced nutrition
- High nutrient and energy density resulting in smaller feeding portions
High nutrient and energy density
The investment in a premium food may initially cost more per bag, but because high quality formulas are nutrient dense your dog may need less food. As a result, this can offset the higher cost per unit of weight.
On a cost-per-feeding basis, look at how much you feed each day as opposed to how much the bag costs. (Get in touch with us if you need help with working out your cost-per-day)
Foods from premium brands are fixed-formula foods as opposed to least cost formulas.
That means the fixed-formula recipes do not change with the cost of ingredients.
With least cost formulations, the emphasis is on production and ingredient costs. Two bags of the same least-cost formulated food can have different ingredients. In addition, those ingredients may vary significantly in digestibility which can result in bad gas, diarrhoea or constipation.
Nutrition, Skin, Coat
Premium formulas are made using these highly digestible proteins, which promote excellent skin and coat condition and enhance your dog’s overall health and well-being.
In fact 30% of all protein intake goes towards maintaining a good skin and coat, their first barrier of defense.
Good quality proteins are costly and this is often where the lower cost foods have to skimp.
How can I tell if a Brand really is High Quality?
A good start is by understanding the ingredient list on the packaging.
The section on the label lists all the ingredients that make up the product. The ingredients are listed in descending order according to weight before cooking.
One of the first ingredients in dry food should be a source of high quality animal protein (eg. Chicken, lamb or fish).
Manufacturers who use large amounts of vegetable proteins may be saving money at the expense of the dog’s overall well-being.
Other ingredients to avoid are artificial colours and flavours, which offer no nutritional benefits.
Some of the Benefits Quality Dog Foods Provide
- High quality ingredients
- High total diet digestibility
- Balanced, optimal levels of protein, fat, fibre, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, which make costly nutritional supplements unnecessary that meet thedifferent lifestage and lifestyle needs.
- Fibre, Antioxidant, Joint Support, Dental science.
- A nutrient dense formulation appropriate for a particular lifestage/lifestyle.
- Consistent, high-quality ingredient recipes that do not change with manufacturing costs.
- Omega 3 fatty acids to help maintain healthy skin and coat.
- Great palatability.
- A 100% money back guarantee
In a nutshell.
We all know how unhealthy it is for us to live off a low quality junk food diet.
Our pets are no different.
Humans can have junk food every now and then and compensate for it by eating healthy the rest of the time.
Our pets eat mostly the same diet every day and are therefore exposed to those high or low quality ingredients all the time. It is therefore vital to buy the best value for money food for them.
We all want to do the best for our friends. For them to have the best chance of a healthy long life let’s feed our pets the best we can afford. They rely on us to do that.
Most premium brands offer great value for money and probably cost less than you may have initially thought.
There are so many options out there and it may be a little overwhelming. We totally get it.
If you would like expert advice in choosing the best option for your much-loved dog, pop us a Live Chat, WhatsApp on 060 639 1143, email to firstname.lastname@example.org or good old phone call on 010 300 7908.
We’d love to help.